Breakages… accidents happen.

  • 11 months ago
  • 1
What to do if you break something in your rented student flat or house

Accidents happen, we all know that, but how do you deal with the accident? Do you tell someone straight away? Do you try and cover it up? Do you simply ignore it?

We’re not talking about a plot of a revenge in a film or a mistake you’ve made on holiday, we’re talking about what to do if something breaks in your student house or flat.

Examples of this could be anything from a cupboard door falling off to a broken chair – or something being spilt on the carpet (although student landlords might do their best to avoid this situation with cream carpets being a no-go).

Speaking of something being spilt on a carpet, we’ve all been there frantically googling what other counteractive liquid can be poured over the stain to try and make it better (often ending up worse). In this situation, it’s potentially best to not act in this way and contact your landlord or property manager if it is really quite bad and they will be able to advise or give you someone to contact.

What to do if you break something in your student home

Some properties might have a maintenance person for you to contact directly. It can be tempting in this situation to leave it and wait until the end of the year, hoping it might disappear or go unnoticed so as not to impact your deposit, however, this might be wishful thinking.

Things do get broken from time to time and landlords are very much aware of that. What makes the difference is the intent and how it is responded to. Common sense definitely plays a part in how to deal with breakages. For example, if a window gets smashed or there is significant damage to something important, then contact someone straight away, that’s obvious.

It if your fridge breaks, you should contact the relevant person straight away because it is in your interest to have it fixed.

For smaller breakages, fixing it yourself (only if safe to do so) might be an option. Some super glue, Polyfilla, clingfilm (more useful than you think) or even some swimming goggles around a radiator (yes that’s a real option) could be used for some simple fixes but all should still be reported.

Different landlords will have different ways of reporting issues, this could be in the form of phone calls, email, or website, be sure to familiarise yourself with your landlord’s policy.

General wear and tear over the course of the year or so you are living in a student property is to be expected – but anything more, could start to eat into your deposit. Student landlords absolutely understand the territory in which they operate so will of course be reasonable, however, honesty and quick communication really is the best policy here.

The good news here is that all students renting accommodation with Metro are full covered with contents insurance. Take a look at the policy cover here – or call us to discuss how we deal with accidental breakages. You’ll find us much more pragmatic and accommodating than you might think. 

Compare listings